Friday, March 6, 2009

A carrot a day...

is going to be the theme here for a couple days. Not because I love carrots or anything but because I just used a ton. In a matter of 2 or 3 days. :) First up is more of a "processing of carrots".


When I went to get an orange the other day I noticed the carrots mom had given me were needing to be used. I pulled them out, and after a very discouraging trip to the store to get baggies, got busy. First I got them soaking. That is two grocery bags worth of carrots. I did a visual check and tossed any right away that needed to be.


Then I got to dicing into medallions. I can't remember if I peeled this batch or not (there has been a lot of carrot handling in the last 2ish days). I blanched them and stuck them in the bag and in the freezer.

Next up was chopping them. By this point my fingers were orange, children were driving me crazy, and I was burnt out on carrots. I stuck chunks of carrot in my blender and let it do the work. Again blanched and frozen. I'm not happy about the large scale storage but part of my discouraging store trip included coming home with no baggies. The ones chopped in my blender will be used for soups and stir fry and baking. I don't think I'll need to buy any more carrots for awhile!

Up next: Vegetarian (well duh) meatloaf with a lemon sauce (not on the meatloaf...), carrot and apple bread, carrot cupcakes (and subsequent bundt cake), carrot bars, and a peach dessert!

Oh how funny....without intending too my last post here was a carrot one too! By the time I'm done you'll have plenty to do with carrots. You'll likely never want to see them again too. :)

No comments: