Thursday, March 12, 2009

MMMmmm: Veggie meatloaf and a lemon sauce

This was a pretty simple and effective recipe. Clicky!Clicky! I had read a few recipes that day and one used a ton of mock meat. For extra bulk I did add some Morning Star crumbles (also to replace the oats since I didn't have any) to my lentil mix. My tomato sauce ratio was a bit off so the loaf was a bit more crumbly than I would have liked.
This is almost a recipe I would use a lot. I'm rather particular about meatloaf and have yet to find the perfect one. As a vegetarian that's going to be a bit harder. ;) Since I said this was going to be about carrots take a closer look. Hard to see but there are carrots in this. It added a bit of extra crunch to your bite which was nice. It didn't really add any flavor. It did add a nice punch of color as well. :)

This was my favorite part. I had sauteed asparagus earlier and after pulling the meatloaf out decided I wanted a bit more oomph to it. I googled lemon sauce recipes super fast and found one I liked and had all the ingredients for. Clicky!Clicky! I did make some alterations...due to the insanely picky eaters here I nixed the spice. I'm not sure it would be any better with it though. This sauce seriously rocks! I also didn't have any paprika or basil. I just used a whole lot of salt and pepper and oregano. :) I also used about 1.5 lemons for the juice. I don't know if I just had small lemons or they were older or what but it was definitely needed. Once it was done (and no you cannot taste the garlic) I took a couple spoonfuls and stirred it into my asparagus. I had enough left over that the following day I made a stir fry type meal and used the rest of it to season it up (and since there were carrots I'll blog it :) ). Since there was no hot sauce in it this is a nice all around sauce. I used it on some bread the next day and it was perfect. I'm seriously in love with this stuff!

No comments: