Monday, September 6, 2010

White Kidney Bean Soup

This is a perfect soup for when you 1.)don't have a lot of time or 2.) need to use up pantry items. Both were the case tonight.

Vegetable broth/base (I did 4 cups)
1 can of white kidney beans
.5 cup minute rice (I prefer minute rice in my soup for timing reasons)
.5-1 cup frozen corn
5.-1 cup frozen peas

Add water and/or broth to pan (I used 4 cups water and 2 large bullion cubes. You could use premade broth). Bring to a boil. Add all other ingredients and cover. Let simmer until frozen items are cooked through and rice is soft (about 15 minutes). For deeper flavors simmer another 15-20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Tasty, light, and warming (it's cold here today). Flavor could/would be deeper with a chicken broth. Garlic would be a good addition as well. I went for simple tonight and paired it with some saltines.

No comments: