Monday, October 15, 2007

A different kind of salad

Going towards a raw based diet we sometimes rely on salad since it's easy and we can get a ton of stuff in without thinking about it. Leaf salads get boring though. My mother in law makes a fabulous cucumber and tomato salad that she picked up in Chile on her mission. I've since seen it on recipe sites as a greek salad (a real one...not the attempt Americans do). Who knows! She makes it every Sunday for Sunday dinner and we love it. Last night we got home late so we called her up to see if she would make it for us if I brought over the cucumber and tomato. She said sure. Now I know the recipe and I can make it BUT she uses a salsa in it that I don't know how to make. It's jalepanos, jabernos, lemon juice, and something else. This stuff is BRIGHT green. And HOT! It's fabulous. I'm going to learn how to make it on the next time she makes up a batch and I can't wait. Anyway, we had some last night and the husband mentioned that he liked saucy salads. So for lunch I attempted to make a saucy salad.




Saucy Salad

2 carrots- shaved
1 large cucumber- shaved
6 radishes
2 stalks celery
3 florets of broccoli
1/2-1 cup raw pumpkin seeds

Avocado sauce

1 large avocado
olive oil
1/2 lemon
salt
pepper
chives
basil
1 clove of garlic

Shave carrots and cucmber. Slice in half and chop into bite sized pieces. Slice radishes and celery and broccoli. Toss together.

Cut avocado and scoop all the meat out and out in a blender. Blend for about 30 seconds to soften. Add in olive oil and squeeze lemon into the blender. Blend for a minute and then add in spices. Keep blending while you chop garlic into tiny pieces. Turn off blender and add in garlic. Blend until all the spices are mixed. (Note: you can add in as much olive oil as you like to get desired thickness). Add avocado sauce to the veggie mix and stir until all vegetables are coated. Top with pumpkin seeds and mix them in.

Salt and pepper to taste.

With those amounts it was enough for two large bowls for 2 adults. The nice thing is it works with any veggie combo you can think of! Super tasty! I wish I had more. I will definitely be making more. I think I'll do some for Sunday dinner this week. I'll have to do a ton though. This made a large amount but with the amount of people there on Sundays I'll need to do about double. Thats fine though..this would be a welcome left over. :)

No comments: