Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The sweet stuff

I'm not a big sweets kind of gal. Sure I'll have sugar (I'm addicted to Pepsi) and don't mind the occasional candy or cookie or other sugary concotion but for the most part I am happy without them. In the 3.5 years we've been together I have bought one bag of sugar and it got left behind a few moves ago. I made cookies once and that was 2 years ago for Christmas baskets. If I have the desire to bake anything I have no other option than to grab a box of Betty Crocker something or other. We just don't do them.


Today I was sitting ehre wanting something sweet. I had just got done reading something online about starting raw doing gourmet type meals so that you 1. don't get bored right away 2. get into the flow of things regarding meals and preparation and 3. keeping satisifed while your body detoxed and you could rely on it's true cravings to kind of guide you (as opposed to "false" ones that happen BECAUSE you are detoxing and it's flooding your system). I went over to livingfoods.com and browsed through their sweet stuff and decided on ice cream.


I used this recipe and used up the remaining pineapple from yesterdays lunch (just a fruit salad..you're not missing out on a good picture of anything). I put the pineapple in a bag and twisted it shut and stuck it in the freezer around 3ish. I can't quite remember. I pulled it out about an hour ago, cut off the skin, chopped it up, and threw it in my food processor with my s blade. I didn't want to wait for it to partially thaw so I didn't. Come to find out the bag had a small hole in the bottom so while it was frozen it was closer to the partially thawed state anyway.


I am floored. This stuff is FANTASTIC! You can't tell it's not "real" ice cream. It tastes just like it and has the same consistency. The best part? Even though it melts it doesn't melt like ice cream. It goes more to a yogurty form. The munchkin had a small bowl and didn't eat a lot and it sat here for about an hour now and is still thick! I will definitely be making this again! I made a ton though and need to finish this up before I make a new batch. I want to make something the mother in law can have as well so I need to figure out a diabetic friendly fruit. She likes ice cream a lot and I don't want to kill her in case she eats a ton of it. :)


(This is after sitting for an hour..I should get a pic of it in the freezer)
The warning about it being sweet is dead on. The amount I made is going to last forever because of it. It's not something you eat in large amounts. I'm so pleased with it, I wish the man was as excited about it as I am. hehehe

No comments: